ANC Veterans League submission at the 54th National Conference
The Veterans League recommends the formation of a committee in accordance with rule 11.5 of the ANC Constitution, to design and develop a strategy that will include a plan of action and oversee the renewal of the ANC structures including the branches as follows amongst others:
- To assess and scrutinise the suitability of the elected leadership at all levels in line with the adopted documents, in particular “Through the Eye of the Needle”,
- Takes urgent and practical steps to professionalise and modernise the ANC with priority being given to the membership system;
- take full advantage of the advances in the information, communication technology and management sciences to continue to put in place a better membership system;
- communicate effectively with its membership, core constituency and society in general;
- introduce progressive management methods in the running of the ANC.
- supervise the formulation of practical strategies to ensure that the ANC develops both human and material resources to fulfill its historic task to lead the continuing struggle for the all-round victory of the Democratic Revolution;
- promote a value system that obliges its members and those of its members who are in the State apparatus to serve in the interest of the people of South Africa;
- oppose all corrupt practices, including the abuse of power by all its members in the organization and all institutions of State to enrich themselves or individuals and/or corporations;
- must defeat the establishment of cliques and factions which subvert our united national effort to achieve the inclusive democratic transformation of South Africa in the realisation of the goals of shared prosperity, poverty eradication and reduction of inequality in a growing economy;
- work together with society for the creation of a non-racial, non-sexist, democratic, prosperous and united society;
- respect for and the strengthening of the institutions of the democratic State.
- continuous respect for and strengthening of democratic practices and therefore the rule of law.
4. Integrity Commission:
The Integrity Commission must be an independent constitutional structure within the ANC with the capacity to act independently. All the findings of the integrity commission are binding and must be implemented .The integrity commission must be properly staffed and resourced. We agree with the first option of Rule 24.2 . The integrity commission must submit its report directly to the NEC.
5. Electoral Reform:
- There must be a one member one vote for a direct election of NEC.
- The number of deployed NEC members in government must be capped.
- The Tripartite Alliance must be revitalized, strengthened and respected.
In respect of the ANC being the leader of society,it is essential to convene a regular National Consultative Conference to adopt and review the organisation renewal. These proposals should be tabled to the NGC for approval